Please leave comments ... it keeps me motivated!


Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Homework drama

We've only had one day of school in our kids' lives and we've experienced our first homework drama. On the first day of school Ashlynn got some homework for a "Me Book" they're working on for Back to School Night. We need to write down some of her favorite things and she is supposed to draw a picture of her family. I know she's never really tried to "draw" people; she mostly just draws and then names the things she's made based on what they end up looking like to her, or she colors things that are already drawn for her. So today when I suggested that she practice drawing our family, she became really frustrated and started crying about how she "can't" (one of the least favorite things I hear as a teacher!). "I can't draw my family... I can't make a circle... I can't make eyes!" It was major, unnecessary drama... and it made me think of all of the drama kids in my class have given their parents in completing silly old homework and all the drama we have to look forward to with our own kids. Parenthood is quite an adventure!

No comments: