I'm a big fan of the Pioneer Woman blog (http://thepioneerwoman.com/). I first found her site because it had some practical photography tips, but have come to appreciate it for PW's honest and amusing writer's voice and the yummy recipes she features (which include many step-by-step photographs... apparently I'm a visual learner).
Today in her confessions section, she shared the things she's learned about blogging. Her first item was to be yourself. I think I've got that covered. Most of the time. I tend to start writing each entry with my voice, and sometimes excessively honest thoughts, and then I edit a lot of it out so as not to offend anyone or cause them to think I'm crazy. (I've even come back to a published entry in the middle of the night to edit or delete it because I'm not sure how others will read it.) I'm going to try to keep my voice in my entries, but I'll still try to edit out the crazy stuff... although I suppose the people who read this blog know who I am already, right?
Another thing Pioneer Woman mentioned was the need to blog frequently, even if it's just short. I realized that it is a do-unto-others kind of thing. I don't follow many blogs, maybe 7, but I do check for new stuff on a daily basis. I feel a little sad when there's nothing new. But yet, I don't blog every day. I'm going to try to be better about it. Maybe it will just be a photo (oh, let's be honest, I'm not going to just post one!), or perhaps a quick story, but I'm going to try!
Now here's your part. Please comment. It is so much more motivating to write when you have an audience. You don't have to set up an account or anything. On the comment page you can choose the identity of either "name/url" and just type your first name in the name box (which is what I usually do on others' pages) or "anonymous" and include your name in the message. In school I teach my students to write to certain audiences, but it's hard to write when you don't know who your audience is. Plus, blogging takes a lot of time, especially if posting photos is involved, so it's nice to know people are actually looking at it. So, if you would be so kind... And, by the way, I will try to be better about commenting on other people's blogs too!
Thanks, friends!
3 comments:
I read that PW post too, about how best to blog. I thought it was good advice, and I'd follow it, if I had a blog. I think one of the main reasons I don't is that I'd have a hard time keeping up with it... just another thing to stay updated on. But maybe I'd surprise myself. I'm finding myself with some extra time these days, and maybe it'd be good for me. But like PW says, it would mean I'd have to exercise more often. And I have a hard time doing that enough to begin with. Ugh.
Didn't read her post but that is good advice. I'm hoping to keep updating regularly since it's this one little thing I do just for the fun of it. And, there aren't many of those things these days. Let's face it . . changing diapers isn't for fun!
PS: Katie - do it! I'll read it . . .
Hey there! Yes, keep blogging...it is fun to hear how life is going for you and the fam. About consistency- yikes, I am not good at that. I do look for it in the blogs that I read a lot, but can't do it well myself. I will try to comment more and blog more too. I may even join FB.....not quite yet, but maybe soon...keep it up, Heather, you are doing great. And yes, katie, I would read your blog too!
Post a Comment