For Ashlynn, the second qualification (weighing 40 pounds) was met just this past June. The kids' doctor had suggested bringing Ashlynn in for Carter's 4-year-old check up (when she was 6 3/4 years old) to see if she might be 40 pounds at that point. She did; she weighed 40.2 pounds.
While she was glad to finally be 40 pounds, she was easily convinced to stay in her 5-point-harness car seat for a bit longer, at least until after our summer road trip to Yellowstone. The safety factor was enough of a reason for her.
At some point after the trip I said something about getting a booster (mostly so we might put another kid in the back seat with our kids). Ashlynn's response was "maybe for Christmas".
Today Carter and I were at Target and I decided to pick up a booster seat. After school I took a picture of her getting into her Britex car seat "for the last time". She ask why and I explained I had purchased a booster. She sighed and said, "I don't really want to change over. I like feeling safe, I like being higher, and I like how comfy my car seat is." I guess today might not be her final ride in the Britex.
| Ashlynn facing forward for the first time (in the same car seat she sat in today) |
On a side note, the thing that makes me chuckle about the whole thing is that the car seat she sits in today was the convertible car seat we bought for her when she was like a year old (I think less than a year, as a back facing seat). I think it is funny how couples spend so much time researching just the right infant carrier (and all that baby stuff) and then they (and others) spend hundreds of dollars on gear they will only use for a few months. We got over 6 years of use out of our convertible car seats. Those car seats were a good investment!
PS- the car seat actually holds up to 65 pounds. She hit 20 pounds at about age 1 1/2 and she hit 40 pounds at almost 7, so I bet we will be able to use that sucker as we drive her to junior high. Just kidding!
1 comment:
I agree with you - when Jenna was one, I researched and found her "next" car seat that goes up to 80 pounds. She has a booster for Daddy's car but like Ashlynn, still prefers the car seat.
Post a Comment