Please leave comments ... it keeps me motivated!


Monday, May 13, 2013

Super Proud of my Awesome Reader

Okay, I have to share something that I'm pretty proud of (some may say it's bragging, but I'm honestly really proud and excited).

This morning I got an email that Ashlynn had taken another Accelerated Reader quiz.  She had read Little Lord Fauntleroy by Francis Hodgson Burnett (the author of The Secret Garden).  It is leveled as an 8.1 (eighth grade, first month), so I wasn't so sure how she'd do on the quiz.  It turns out that she got 100% on the quiz!!!  Holy moley, our kid is a super reader.
 
The quiz was worth 11 AR points, so that puts her 2nd grade total up at 203.5 points (the 2nd grade goal is 50 points).  WOW!

In case I haven't said this on the blog, I am really so happy that Ashlynn is such an awesome reader for a number of reasons.  First, it is good to see that she has something she is good at and can feel proud of. There were a number of times in 1st grade when she would lay in my arms and cry about how all her friends had talents, except for her.  Second, I am happy that she is a good reader because it took me many years as a kid to become good.  I think I was in a fairly low group in 1st grade, by 4th grade I was in the middle group, and by 6th, I was in the top group.  Yep, it took a while for it to click for me.  I remember years of fearing having to read aloud, worried that I might mess up saying a word.  Also, I am so glad that Ashlynn finds pleasure in reading.  I really didn't learn to enjoy a book until I was well into my adult years.  She doesn't always pick reading a book as her #1 favorite thing to do (she'll first pick creative play or crafts), but if you put a good book in her hands, she will be occupied for hours. 

Later today, we will celebrate her latest milestone.  Yay!

No comments: