Please leave comments ... it keeps me motivated!


Friday, June 28, 2013

Maui 2013, Days 7-8 (Hiking, Snorkeling, a Fancy Dinner, Parasailing, and Lahaina)

Days 7 and 8 of our time in Maui were very busy days.  We had a lot of fun and wore out our kids.

Day 7 began with a hike near Kapalua. 
 It was a steep hike, but fortunately, most of the uphill was the first part (so the end was mostly downhill).
 Ashlynn and I continued up the hill after Carter pooped out.
 The view of Molokai.
We stopped for lunch at the Hololua Store in Kapalua.  It is a market that dates back to when the area was used for pinapple farming (not what it is now: the Ritz Carlton and exclusive golf courses) and is now a nice ABC Market that caters to the Kapalua crowd with fancy gifts and a nice deli.
There were tables on the porch that were just perfect for lunch.
We then headed to Mokuleia Bay (just south of Honolua Bay) for some snorkeling.  It was beautiful, but quite windy, so sand got everywhere (I even found sand stuck to the sticks of gum in my purse when we flew home).
 Eric took Ashlynn out to snorkel.  Because of the wind and waves, he had her wear Carter's floatie and ride on the boogie board.  They saw quite a lot of fish.
 Carter was happy to dig in the sand.
 After Ashlynn and Eric made a go at snorkeling, I had a turn snorkeling with the water camera.
 Then while Eric took a turn on his own, I played with the kids in the waves.
 Carter crashed on the drive back to our condo.
In the evening, Eric and I went on a lovely dinner date to Merriman's Restaurant in Kapalua.  The food was delicious and the view was unbelievable.  The window walls open on three sides of the dining room.  Here's a photo of the restaurant I found on the internet (it really is that beautiful!):
 Here are my photos (we had a 6:15 reservation so we would be there for sunset):
 The view from our table.
On day 8, we started the day with parasailing.  One of the two local companies allows kids as young as 3 to go up, so we went with that one.

The kids were really excited and had a great time!
Getting ready to fly.  The kids got lucky and because of weight needs, they got to ride with both Eric and me, so they rode twice.
 We really got up high.
 Happy kids!
Then it was my turn with the kids
 Time for a dip (Carter's favorite part of the ride).
Such amazing views (this was the view of Kaanapali). 
 Self photos (it's my thing)
 The boat looks really small from up there.
Here's a video we had made of our trip (please check it out because it was a splurge :)  ):
Such a fun and memorable activity!

After parasailing, we headed to the pool closest to our building.
I was a happy girl; I got to enjoy an amazing view and see my family having fun.  Plus, I didn't have to sit in the yucky sand or get burnt by the sun.
In the afternoon of the 8th day we headed back to Lahaina for legendary shave ice from the Local Boys place near the banyan tree.  Eric and Ashlynn shared one and I shared with Carter.  It was very tasty; a snow cone cannot begin to compare.  Ashlynn actually says that eating shave ice was one of her favorite memories of the trip.
 The kids LOVE taking silly photos.
We then explored Lahaina a bit.  Part of our inspiration was that we got good, free parking, and, unlike most times in Lahaina, it wasn't blazing hot.  Why not?
 While we were walking down Front Street we saw some more people we know.  I had seen one family I've taught on our flight over and another former student and her mom a few days later on Front Street.  This time we saw friends of friends (and a FB friend), Sharon and Julia.
 By the end of that day, we were exhausted!  Good times!

1 comment:

Bec said...

Reading your posts is making me super excited for our Marriott Hawaii trip next week! Fun video. There's a Merrimans on Kauai too and we had a great dinner last year on our anniversary.