Please leave comments ... it keeps me motivated!


Sunday, September 28, 2014

Where Have We Been?

Oh my!  Is it really almost the end of September?!?!  I don't think I've ever gone so long without blogging (although I am not going to take the time to verify that).  

Since I last blogged, school, and all the activities and stress that come with it, has begun.  Sadly, we are near the end of September and I would say that we still don't have all fall activities, and therefore our routines, in place.  But I will get to that later, after I have done some catching up.

We released a butterfly at Nana and Papa's.
We hung out with friends.
The kids went to a week of soccer camp.
I went back to work to get ready for the new school year that began with students on August 11th.
The kids, their friends and their dads went to the beach (while the moms were at work teaching).
There were some delicious treats enjoyed  along the way.  It's summer, right?

My car was hit on the 210 while driving home from my third day of school.  The driver at fault had been driving for one week.  Thankfully, my car was able to be fixed and no one was hurt.
Carter lost his first tooth!  He wrote a letter to the tooth fairy, asking if he could keep his first tooth.
I celebrated my friend Kari's birthday and my birthday with a Girls Night Out at a Spanish restaurant, followed by some mischief.  Such a fun time with friends!
The tent was pitched in the back yard and Ashlynn camped out there for three nights (Carter preferred to sleep in his bed).
We celebrated my birthday.
Look at the sweet delivery boy.
Ashlynn had Lydia over for a camp out in the back yard.
There was the Mayflower back-to-school BBQ.  I was in charge of a booth to promote after school enrichment programs.
August 20th was the kids' first day of school.  Carter is now in first grade and Ashlynn is in fourth grade, just like Eric and me.  
August 20th was also Uncle Davey's birthday.  He had work that evening, so we took him out for Rita's Ice Custard that afternoon.  So good!
Eric is assistant coaching Ashlynn's soccer team this year, so Carter and I have dates two evenings a week while they are at practice.  One evening was spent playing Battleship.
One evening we decided to head over to Old Town for dessert.  We picked up ice cream and walked over to the park.  We discovered that the bubble guy was there, so after dessert, we made bubbles.  We then noticed that the concert in the park was happening on the other side of the library, so we went over there for a listen.  It was a nice night.
Soccer started and boy are we in it this year.  Carter still just has one practice and one game every week, but this year Ashlynn has two one-and-a-half hour practices and one to two games every weekend.  Plus, not only is Eric assistant coaching Ashlynn's team, but this year he is playing the adult league and has his own games on Sundays.  Here they are before their first games of the season:
A few times we've stopped by the library to check out new books.  The library is one of Ashlynn's favorite places.
Here's Carter on one of our soccer night dates.  This one will be a cherished memory.  We went to Mama Pertillo's and he asked that we sit on the same side of the bench.  He explained that we could then tell "love secrets".  Throughout the evening he would lean over and either give me a kiss or say "I love you".
Carter joined cub scouts this year as a Tiger Cub.  He is so excited.  On a ridiculously hot Sunday, they had their first activity.  He had a blast!
I got out for a ladies craft night at a friend's house.  Ah, craft therapy!
The day after craft night we were invited by our friends, the Kaufmanns, to join them at a fancy benefit.  We had to scramble to find "dress up clothes", as we apparently don't get dressed up very often.  We rode a limo down to an amazing air museum in Orange County (I am trying to forget that I suffered from major car sickness... guess I'm not meant to ride in limos, especially in traffic).  It was a fun evening and such a treat!
Ashlynn and her "twin", Lydia.
 Ashlynn is excited to take the opportunity as a fourth grader to learn to play an instrument.  After weeks of deliberation, she chose violin.  The funny thing is that violin was not one of the choices she was considering over the many weeks.  She can't wait to learn to play a real song.  Practices start next week!
 Carter had his first Cub Scout pack meeting.  He wore his uniform for the first time, including his giant shirt, which they advised to buy big so it can be worn through 5th grade.
 Finally, on Friday, we celebrated Ashlynn's ninth birthday.  We had an early dinner so she could go to soccer practice.  She asked for pancakes, hash browns and bacon, so that's what we ate!
 Her big gift this year was a telescope.  The girl loves space!
 So, that's what we've been up to since returning from England.  Life during the school year is non-stop!

No comments: