The second week of summer break for the kids and me and the first week of break for Eric was a week unlike we've ever experienced. The main reason is that Ashlynn went up to church camp at Forest Home for the week. Plus, Carter attended Fellowship Monrovia's Forest Home Day Camp every day from 9-4. Yep, Eric and I have had lots of time to just hang out and be together. It was pretty nice.
Ashlynn left for camp on Sunday. She said good-bye to Pippa,
we drove her over to church,
and she said good-bye to Carter.
Then Lydia's mom, Malia, and I drove the girls and their counselor up to Forest Home. We were the first to check in. The girls were pretty excited, especially because 3 of the 4 girls (all in-coming fifth graders) were going to camp for the first time.
The camp staffer insisted that Malia and I join the girls for a photo.
Ashlynn was so excited and not at all concerned about being away from us. We were okay too, knowing that she was so ready and confident.
Camp check-in and the tree house. Doesn't that look like fun?
Bye, girls!
On Monday, Carter apprehensively started Forest Home's Neighborhood Day Camp at Fellowship Monrovia. He had gone last year but must have been a bit overwhelmed by the experience. Thankfully his first day this year went well and he ended up having a great week.
While Carter was at day camp, Eric and I took care of a few things around the house. I worked on organizing Ashlynn's closet and Eric repainted a wall in the family room so we could put up new artwork and photos.
On Tuesday we test drove two cars and ate tacos at King Taco in El Monte.
Wednesday was "Wacky Wednesday" at camp.
And Eric and I relaxed with wine and cake pops. Classy, I know.
Forest Home posted photos from camp, so we got glimpses of life at camp. Ashlynn assures me she was much happier than the photos suggested.
One night we went to a Cub Scout kickball game, followed by a fundraiser at Blaze Pizza.
Also while Ashlynn was away, Carter started swimming lessons (after spending the day from 9-4 at camp). Yes, swimming is one of those things that got away from us with Carter over the years. Fortunately a family friend, Jeremy, knows how to teach kids to swim and offered to teach Carter. Carter is a bit of a stubborn student, but he is getting it.
More fun at camp:
Then on Friday, Malia and I picked up the girls. I asked Ashlynn how she did and if she got homesick. She reported that she never felt homesick or sad but that once she saw me she was super happy to see me. I declare that a success!
We probably shouldn't have, but before we packed the minivan we had the girls give us a tour of camp. I wanted to have a visual that went with the stories I knew I'd hear.
We first saw where they did worship, watched skits, and heard speakers. The girls were sitting so properly in their group's section for the photo, but I know that it was not such a calm and proper place.
Then we walked up the hill and saw their tent/ cabin.
We also saw the archery range.
Forest Home is a beautiful mountain place!
Last, we saw the tree house, activity field and pool for the Adventure Mountain area (there are pools they also went to in other areas, including the "big pool").
Then Ashlynn said good-bye to the counselors and camp staff.
Here she is with our church's counselor, Emily.
Down the hill at Chik-Fil-A.
After Ashlynn got a shower and a little time to tell us about camp, we headed over to see the closing ceremony for Carter's week at camp. They sang a song, recited the week's Bible verse and we heard about the fun they had. Then they got awards in their groups. Carter got an award for being insightful. His counselors said he had wonderful things to say during small group discussions.
Ashlynn and Carter were pretty happy to see each other.
We were all happy everyone was home after a fun week of camp.
























No comments:
Post a Comment