Please leave comments ... it keeps me motivated!


Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Potty Training, Day 1

The day started out with such promise.  I didn't get called in for jury duty and it seemed that our day to start potty training had finally come.

Carter got up, I got him into his big boy underpants, put on his Potty Watch (loaned to us from a college friend, Joanna.  Thanks!), and explained how things were going to go. 

So proud of his underpants and the watch
The watch lights up every 30, 60 or 90 minutes
"Wook a duh numbahs!"
It seemed like we were ready to do this.

The kid can hold "it" all night, sometime for as long as 15 hours.  He can totally talk.  He's ready to potty train.

Did I mention that he's 3 now?  Um, yea.  If you remember having a 3-year-old, you know that that brings its own set of challenges.

Basically, Carter peed on the floor once and then (kinda) made product in the potty 3 times (so he earned a Cars stickers on a chart and a gummy bear each time).  I don't think he was aware of what he did in the potty, which is why I'm still looking for the breakthrough where he realizes that he not only controls holding the pee but can also control letting it go.

As yesterday went on, he became increasingly more resistant to going into the bathroom and sitting on the potty.  I know that isn't a good thing because then I just end up forcing him to do it and he's just going to become more stubborn about it all.

We'll see how today goes.  Wish us luck (and me some patience)!

1 comment:

Katie said...

So I'm guessing day 2 didn't go much better? Ugh, not fun. On the morning of our day 3, I totally lost it and yelled at Jake for something unrelated to potty training. But something clicked on day 3, so maybe it will with Carter too??? I heard about that potty watch too and considered getting it. Jakie was very resistant to sitting on the potty too, but I didn't let him quit, even though I wondered whether I was doing more harm than good. We still have had no progress in #2, so I get to clean those messes up still. Hang in there.