Please leave comments ... it keeps me motivated!


Sunday, August 11, 2013

Stars and Dots

Last night I was reminded of a sweet children's books by Max Lucado called You Are Special.  I remembered that it talks of how in the town in the story, people go around putting star stickers on people who are attractive, talented, etc.  They also put dot stickers on others who are less attractive, untalented, say dumb things, etc.  The main character is one who gets lots of dots and struggles with feeling that maybe the others have it right about him.  I've been feeling pretty low lately and it struck me that I've been feeling like I'm wearing dots (sorry, it probably sounds silly, especially if you haven't read the book).
 

Today I pulled out the book to be reminded of the message, that God loves me for me, and that I shouldn't allow how others label me or make me feel about myself to matter.  After reading the book Ashlynn came along and also read it.  I was a little teary as I thought about the message and how I had been feeling.  Ashlynn noticed and asked why I seemed upset.  I explained that I had been feeling like I was getting a lot of dots lately.  She ran into her room and returned to present me with a star sticker.  We talked a little bit about the message of the book but that it also feels good to get those stars sometimes.

I love my girl and how she can make me smile, even when I don't feel up to it.

Tomorrow is my first day of the new school year (yes, it will be August 12, and that is very wrong!).  I recognize that while it is my job as a teacher to hand out those "stars and dots" that I will do my best to be careful with those dots, because if you get a lot of them, you start to believe them.

1 comment:

Bec said...

We love this book too . . . good reminder that even we as adults feel the dots & stars issue too. I've been trying to restore some order (and better behavior) in our house lately and trying not to give dots at the same time.