Back in November, a close family friend on Eric's side, Stu, developed major lung problems. At first, his survival was of major concern, and then there were weeks when his progress was slow, but moving in the direction of recovery.
On Sunday, Eric got a call that the doctors had reported to the family that Stu was declining quickly and would not recover. Eric visited Stu on Sunday and Tuesday, saying his good-byes and trying to support Stu's family and Eric's dad, who had pretty much been at the hospital every day for hours over many weeks.
Thursday morning, Eric got the call that Stu had passed away. Our hearts are hurting. Stu was one of Eric's parents' very best friends, he was like an uncle to Eric, and he had been a critical part of Eric's dad's support system, since Linda passed away almost 6 years ago. He was a good and caring man, and he will be deeply missed.
As Eric was, and continues, to monitor the situation, I have been working to maintain some normalcy for our kids. Well, as "normal" as things are at Christmas.
On Tuesday evening, while Eric visited Stu and his family and friends at the hospital, I took the kids to the TCHS Christmas Concert. I have many fond memories of performing in that concert as a high schooler, especially the two years I was a Brighter Side Singer. I knew my kids would love the concert, and they did!
An added bonus to the concert experience is that it takes place at the San Gabriel Mission Playhouse, or as I still call it, the San Gabriel Civic Auditorium. Just being in that beautiful, historic theater makes the experience even more special
Carter was loving the show, but by 8 o'clock he was yawning and by about 8:30, he had fallen asleep. That's my boy!
The family of a high school friend was sitting across the aisle from us, so I was able to go up on stage with alumni and sing the Hallelujah Chorus with the students. It was so fun to be back on that stage! I remembered the entire soprano part, but I couldn't hit some of those notes.
On Wednesday, Carter's class had a fun day of making ornaments, followed by a sampling of foods from their Winter Holidays from Around the World unit they've been working on over the past few weeks. I was off work, so I was able to be a part of it.Craft time:
Learning about the food on their plates from the celebrations they studied:
Carter's rotations group:
Wednesday was Eric's dad's birthday, so Eric cooked dinner at his house for everyone and we decorated his Christmas tree.
Thursday was the winter program at the kids' school. I ended up going to both performances, so I combined photos from the two.
Kindergarten dashing through the snow:
"I want to wish you a merry Christmas, from the bottom of my heart!"
The three classes of kindergartners
Singing a song about licking a peppermint stick (their fingers are candy canes)
He spotted us!
Third Grade:
She was behind Sophia for the second performance, but did a great job of photo bombing.
Fortunately, a friend who was in the front row got a shot of her.
The whole third grade
With Daphne, after the performance
Friday was the last day of work/ school for Eric and the kids. Carter brought home a bunch of very cute Christmas crafts.
In the afternoon we joined Eric and a few of his co-workers at BJs. The kids and I shared pizookies. Yum!
After that, the kids went shopping for Christmas presents with my dad. When Ashlynn was in kindergarten they began the tradition (although in prior years it involved them sorting, counting and rolling coins to collect the shopping money). This year, Carter joined them.
On Saturday morning we attended a practice for the Christmas Eve service at church. Ashlynn is a shepherd (and her buddy Lydia is a sheep). Carter is a wise man and will be joined by another 5-year-old. Eric will be the third and "most wise" wise man, who will guide them on their journey.
There was some sheep and shepherd silliness that went on.
We ended the week well with some time with the Mountain family. We joined them for a carriage ride in the "village", followed by some time hanging out and enjoying a meal together at their house.
Boys and airplanes
It was a "magical" carriage ride for eight
Jakie making elf ears.
The kids' table
Oh boy, Christmas is almost here!
No comments:
Post a Comment